South West departments among the most attractive in France

Home"Anciens2"South West departments among the most attractive in France
3 Partages

Les départements du Sud-Ouest parmi les plus attractifs de France

INFOGRAPHIES - INSEE has ranked the evolution of populations by department between 2010 and 2015. The Haute-Garonne, Haute-Savoie and Herault top, Nièvre and Martinique are at the bottom of the table.

Between 2010 and 2015, the population living in France (excluding Mayotte) increased by 0.5% on average each year to settle at 66.1 million. To support this data, INSEE has published a report on demographic trends by French departments, according to the natural balance (the difference between births and deaths) and migratory flows. The natural balance led to a 0.4% increase in the population over the period, and inflows increased 0.1%.

Strong disparities between natural rate and migratory flow

One does not involve the other. The natural surplus is often very important in economically strong regions like the Ile-de-France or the Rhône. However, these regions are not more attractive. The first example remains that of the capital. In Paris, the annual rate of change of the population due to the natural balance over the period is 0.7%, which represents nearly 16,000 inhabitants. This figure places the capital in a good position. However, the evolution in terms of migratory flows is -1%, or 23,000 inhabitants. The total place Paris in the departments negative balance (-0.3%). The same is true in Seine-Saint-Denis where the natural evolution rate is 1.3% for a migration flow of -0.4%. As for the Rhône, the natural surplus is 0.8%, but the migratory flow is lower at 0.3%.

Les départements du Sud-Ouest parmi les plus attractifs de France
INSEE - Annual change in the population due to the natural balance between 2010 and 2015 - Photo credits: INSEE

Migratory flows cut France into three major axes

The annual change in the population due to net migration between 2010 and 2015 varies greatly by region. Indeed, we distinguish quite clearly three large diagonals that reflect the attractiveness, or not, of certain departments. The first axis cuts the northern part of France, including the capital and stopping in the west at the level of Brittany and east at the Jura. In this respect, net migration is almost exclusively negative or zero, with some exceptions. The second diagonal pierces the rest of France, excluding the southwest, third axis in question, by far the most attractive in France, according to these data. Corsica fully enters this last axis with rates of evolution due to migratory flows higher than 1%.

Les départements du Sud-Ouest parmi les plus attractifs de France
INSEE - Annual change in population due to net migration between 2010 and 2015 - Photo credits: INSEE

 

Large disparities between the DOM

Natural increase is positive for all DOMs but the disparities in terms of migratory flows are strong. Driven by migratory flows deficit, Guadeloupe and Martinique both have a negative annual rate of change of the population, respectively -0.3% and -0.7%. Reunion Island has a positive rate, thanks to a significant natural increase (1.2%). Finally, Guyana has the highest annual rate of change of its population among the hundred or so French departments, at 2.6%. Natural increase accounting for 2.3% and migratory flows exceeding 0.3%.


 

Source: ©  South West departments among the most attractive in France

3 Partages

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your data is processed .

Social Media Auto Publish Powered By: XYZScripts.com
en_USEnglish
fr_FRFrançais en_USEnglish