Senior PA official says there is no US peace plan or Saudi ultimatum

Home"TO THE ONE"Senior PA official says there is no US peace plan or Saudi ultimatum
3 Partages

Ryad allegedly ordered Abbas to accept a peace proposal from the US administration or resign

Palestinian official denied article that Palestinian Authority President Mahmoud Abbas was ordered by Saudi Arabia to accept the Trump administration's Middle East Peace Agreement, or to resign .

The senior official, who was part of the Palestinian delegation sent to meet Saudi King Salman and Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman last week, said no peace proposal had been submitted by the United States, saying that the report was wrong.

"There is no proposal for peace on the part of the United States at the moment," he assured Times of Israel.

Last week Abbas was summoned to Ryad by the Crown Prince. The official said they discussed US peace initiatives and intra-Palestinian reconciliation.

The Tenth Israeli channel said Sunday that the Saudis had said to "accept Trump's peace plan or resign".

Palestinian Authority President Mahmoud Abbas meets with Saudi King Salman in Riyadh on November 7, 2017. (Credit: Thaer Ghanaim / Wafa)

The report also said that Abbas had been ordered to stay away from any Iranian influence.

The Saudi authorities, according to the report, reportedly expressed dissatisfaction with images of Hamas executive Saleh al-Arouri visiting Tehran in October. Arouri was the Hamas signatory to the reconciliation agreement with Abbas's Fatah in Cairo.

However, the PA official said Monday that the issue of relations between Hamas and Iran and Hezbollah, a Lebanese terrorist group backed by Iran, "has not been discussed" with Saudi leaders.

But the official did not say whether the Saudis "fully supported" Abbas's positions on the peace process, as well as the PA leader's stance on Palestinian reconciliation.

Hamas executive Saleh al-Arouri, second from right, meets Iranian leader Hossein Amir Abdollahian, right, and other top Hamas figures in Lebanon, August 1, 2017 (Clearance)

As part of the deal with the Hams terrorist group, Fatah, which controls the PA, will resume government control of the Gaza Strip.

Abbas is asking for full control over the security of the enclave, but Hamas has said he will not lay down his arms. Iran has said it will continue to support Hamas's armed wing.

Sunni Saudi Arabia played muscle against Shiite Iran.

Last week, Lebanese Prime Minister Saad Hariri went to Riyadh to announce his resignation on Saudi television. Rumors have circulated that he will be held in Ryad against his will.

On Sunday night, Hariri gave his first television interview, attacking Iran and his ally Hezbollah, and said he would return to Lebanon soon to officially submit his resignation to Lebanese President Michel Aoun.

The New York Times Sunday announced that the Trump administration has begun drafting a peace proposal for the Israeli-Palestinian conflict, based on the two-state solution.

A White House official said the project will address the most controversial issues, including the status of Jerusalem and settlements in the West Bank.

Sue Surkes contributed to this article.


 

 

 


Source: ©  Senior PA official says there is no US peace plan or Saudi ultimatum | The Times of Israel

3 Partages

Comments are closed.

Social Media Auto Publish Powered By: XYZScripts.com
en_USEnglish